What a day!
We had a glorious time harvesting for the Saturday and Sunday flocks’ CSA bags, the Chatham Mills Farmers’ Market (happening every Saturday 8am to 1pm at the Chatham Marketplace, Pittsboro), and the 2012 Farm to Fork Picnic taking place Sunday afternoon just north of Hillsboro. At Farm to Fork we’ll be partnered with Elaine’s on Franklin and will feature our rainbow Chard and our lady hens’ eggs.
We’re so excited to have another addition to our team, as our new intern, Shari Barnett, from CCCC’s Sustainable Ag program began her first day. Welcome Shari!
What our CSA peeps can expect in the bag:
Some of you will receive Golden Beets; the other half will receive a Kohlrabi and a big bundle of Parsley. If you don’t get beets this week, you can anticipate a beautiful bundle next week!
Sugar snap Peas
You’ll fall in love with the beet greens this week, promise! So we suggest a Vegan Spinach and Beet Green Wilted Salad:
1. heat in a skillet 2 T canola and 2 t sesame oil at medium-high heat
2. when hot, add thinly slices scapes
3. turn off heat
4. mix in a bowl: 2 T rice vinegar, 1t dijon mustard, 1 T honey, and 1t sald
sesame seeds, 1/2 cup of sliced toasted almonds, and 1T toasted sesame seeds
5. Remove stems from spinach and chop spinach and beet greens to bite sized pieced. Place in a large mixing bowl and add hot mixture from skillet.
6. Immediately toss until all greens are coated with oil.
7. Finish with Granite Springs Farm (hard boiled) eggs, thinly sliced to top the salad (if you’re not vegan!)