A steadily slow, rainy day seems an appropriate way to wrap up the summer CSA session. We’re all looking forward to a slightly slower pace for the next few weeks and more time to prepare for the fall CSA (which begins at the very end of September).
Just as the Saturday and Sunday peeps’ final bags, Tuesday bags will be well stocked with potatoes and a nice offering of basil and garlic. Sounds like the perfect opportunity to make a pesto and potato dish (see below). You’ll also find an early Golden Pepper, which are just beginning to come in and show its brilliant color.
For CSA members and non-members alike, remember you can still get all your farm fresh groceries while waiting for the fall CSA to begin. Join us at the farmers’ markets Tuesdays at the Chapel Hill Farmers’ Market 3pm-6pm and Saturdays at the Chatham Mills Farmers’ Market 8am-1pm (except for this Saturday; we will be absent).
What’s In The Bag:
* Early golden pepper
* Cherry tomatoes
Pesto and Potatoes
* Dice potatoes into 1-2 inch chucks and boil
* Once potatoes are soft, run cold water through and put aside
* Either add the following to your food processor, or thinly chop for a less creamy texture: 1-3 cloves of garlic (depending on your liking), a generous portion of basil, pinch of salt, 1 ts oil, 1 Ts lemon juice
* Add pesto mixture to cooled potatoes and mix well
* Get creative! What else can you add for more flavor? Sauteed onions, peppers, mushrooms, diced tomatoes, toasted walnuts or sunflower seeds…. or add mayonnaise to produce a potato pesto salad